Saturday, July 7, 2018

Post-Irma: Still in recovery mode

This is another entry to my blog that I didn't finish and found in my DRAFTS folder!  Sheesh, Robyn!  Learn to press the post button already.  So this is from LAST SUMMER.  So only a year old.  I knew I had really neglected my blog, but had no idea it had been THAT long!  YIKES!  But I left it in-if only as a timely reminder for myself-BE PREPARED and trust in God for all things!

I have to say, we were incredibly blessed to have escaped Irma with no damage, only discomfort, some expense and inconvenience.  We lost power Sunday night, during the height of the storm in our area, and it was not restored until Thursday evening.  We still had water, but were under a "Boil Water" restriction.  Our yard was a mess (to say the least) but none of our ancient trees toppled or even lost any big branches.  We were well-prepared for some things and have learned that there are somethings we would do differently.  Since my husband is a public servant, one of Florida's first responders, he had to leave home and go to work Sunday morning, knowing that I would be alone at home with 2 cats and a dog, and knowing that he wouldn't be home again until Wednesday.  It was scary at times, being alone during the height of the storm, in the dark.  It's way different being alone during a storm with all the power on.  One of the things we are definitely going to do next time (or rather BEFORE next time) is get a generator.  If only to keep from losing all our food in frig and freezer and to run a few fans and lights.  I think that the heat was the hardest for our English Bulldog, Finnuala.  Bulldogs have breathing difficulties anyway, and chubby ones are worse off, and even worse when they are hot.  I tried to put her in the cold shower a couple times (which she did NOT appreciate at the time) but afterward she did seem a bit happier.  I know I sure enjoyed those cold showers after working outside all day.   Also we are going to get a portable A/C unit that can move around from one room to another.  Like I said, a learning curve.  But BLESSED, for sure.  So grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment